Strange Place to Find a Defense of Dental Mercury
Posted on Thursday, February 20th, 2014
But he did manage to plant his soapbox in a very unexpected place recently: the pages of Natural Health Magazine, where he was presented as an “expert” in the matter of dental materials.
Here’s the complete text as provided by ®andall™ over at MercuryExposure.info, who brought this piece to our attention:
Should cavities be filled with white composite instead of traditional mercury amalgam? While many people prefer the look of white composite over the metallic look of mercury amalgam, there are no health or safety reasons to choose white over mercury.
Tooth-colored composite fillings generally cost more than amalgam fillings, though they are typically not as strong in posterior teeth. What’s more, studies show that amalgams last about 25 percent to 50 percent longer than white composite fillings (which are made with a mixture of plastic and glass or quartz particles).
Consider the research: Amalgam fillings are safe. The World Health Organization and the European Commission have shown that the mercury levels in amalgam fillings are so tiny, you’d need 265 to 312 fillings to reach even slightly toxic levels.
Ease your mind: Amalgam filling material is typically only half mercury; the other half is a mixture of silver, tin and copper. The mercury reacts with the other metals to form metallic compounds, which are quite different from pure mercury.The evaporation of mercury from an amalgam filling is a million times lower than from pure mercury.
Translation: If you have the average number of fillings (about seven), you absorb one or two micrograms (roughly millionths of a gram) per day. You would have to absorb more than 140 micrograms of mercury per day to notice any symptoms, and your body is well able to absorb some mercury with no adverse effect. Every day you probably absorb five to six micrograms from food, water and air, with no health risks.
This article seems to have appeared only in the print version of the magazine.
®andall™’s response – also documented at the link – is thorough and devastating. He tells us that although he submitted his comment to Natural Health months ago and has contacted the editors periodically since, he has yet to receive any reply or even acknowledgment from them.
That such an erroneous and misleading piece should make it into the pages of such a publication is pretty mind-blowing. Sure, you can say mercury is natural in that it’s a naturally occurring element, but there’s nothing healthy about it, for individuals or the environment.
And in dental treatment, there’s no place for it other than safely removed and responsibly disposed of.