“Safe Enough” Poison?
Posted on Monday, June 24th, 2013
Not that thinking something is “safe enough” actually makes it so. As the United Nations Environment Programme, among others, has shown, there is no such thing as a safe level of exposure to this most potent of neurotoxins.
And growing awareness of that fact may shed light on a couple other interesting numbers from this same survey:
- Percent of dentists opposed to banning mercury amalgam: 25
- Percent who favor a ban: 28
One dentist surveyed insisted that amalgam is “still the best restorative material in many situations.” Best for who, exactly?
Besides, as Dr. Stephen Koral notes at the end of the Compendium article cited by another survey participant,
In this age of good resin-based restorative dentistry, when increasing numbers of dentists are practicing entirely without amalgam, dentists have the opportunity to be precautionary.
We are heartened to see more dentists make the most of that opportunity.