Stat!: Oral Health in the Golden State
Posted on Monday, November 29th, 2010
Among all US states, DC and American territories, California ranks squarely in the middle when it comes to getting professional dental care.
- Percent of adult Californians who visited a dentist or dental clinic in the past year: 67.7
- Rank among all US states and territories: 31
- Percent who have had their teeth cleaned in the past year: 68.8
- Rank: 30
But when it comes to keeping as many natural teeth as possible, our state does a whole lot better than most.
- Percent of adult Californians who have lost 6 or more teeth due to tooth decay or gum disease: 33.6
- Rank among all US states and territories: 4
- Outranking California: Utah, Hawaii, Guam
- State with the highest percentage of tooth loss: West Virginia (65.6% of the adult population has lost 6 teeth or more)
Of course, six teeth are still quite a lot to lose – not to mention quite expensive to replace! Regular dental visits, eating well, practicing good home hygiene and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are a whole lot cheaper – and support your physical health, as well.